Minutes from "K3NEM May Meeting" on 05/12/2011 - 18:00

Minutes for:

K3NEM May Meeting from 05/12/2011 - 18:00 to 05/12/2011 - 18:00

ARCNEM
K3NEM - - W3HEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES
of the
May 12, 2011
Monthly Meeting

1. ATTENDEES

Jim Dressler KB3GSA Ted Bauer WA3AER
Gary Johney N3BYN Bob Gardenghi K3FQ
Bill Thompson WT3B Tom Dalton KB3NHQ
Jim Nowotarski N3GOO Fred Heath AI3Z
Bill Corley NG3O Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC
Tim Titus W1TRT Alvin Glusik K0IQE
John Barker KB3UTA Jim Smith AB3CA
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Rol Anders K3RA
Laurie Knaak KB3ORF Zack Goldstein WA2DRY

Meeting chaired by Jim Dressler.

2. MINUTES –April meeting minutes accepted, approved

3. REPORTS
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
Starting Balance - $1425.18
Bank Balance - $1394.34

$366 proceeds from Timonium sales not yet in books: $310 to ARCNEM; $56 to NEM. Tim T. sent checks.
Receipts for rotator parts and Henry capacitor pending.
57 members currently.

Report approved.

(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - Rol K3RA
BGE to have Glenn Booth and boss survey area to ID as many sources as possible to remediate all at once. Rol advised BGE that we have special event operations June 4-6.
Noise levels have been noted to be S9 on 2 recent mornings, around 1030L. It was also bad this past Tuesday evening.
Discussed getting the MFJ-1025 set up to help remediate noise.

ii. Northrop Grumman Net Operations
• Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Bob K3FQP / Chip W4PBG
This week’s 20M net was good, with little line noise but some atmospherics. SLC operated mobile set up and 50% copyable; no issues with readability otherwise. Even W3GR checked in from the adjacent position using the GAP antenna.
• 2M Net
Only 3 check-ins this week - our least participation to date.
• Net Control Operators
Both nets need alternate net control operators. Volunteer PLEASE!

iii. Equipment Issues
• Antenna/Rotator – The rotator is fully operational. Ted B. related details of repairs affected over past 2 Saturdays. Rotator-mast-thrust bearing alignment checked out OK. Jim N. suggested that the terminal strip for the control cable be replaced with weatherproof Mil-connector; he is checking availability of crimp-style connector suitable for the job.
• Henry Amp – Power supply cap replaced; amp is again operational. Noted weak output on 15M and above; a weak tube is suspected. Club is checking to see is a loaner tube is available to confirm this suspicion; it was suggested that maybe someone in PVRC might be able to help.
A set of operating numbers by band has been recorded to facilitate set up. Recommended having a familiarization session for operators.
Plan is to re-strap the amp for 208VAC operation to obviate the need for the isolation transformer.
• TNC – Potentiometer is quite tight and electrically noisy; it needs to be replaced. No responsibility assigned.

(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY –
Just received Honduras for 244th confirmation. Returned Taiwan QSL and requested one made out to “K3NEM,” not “K3NEW.”
Brifly discussed pros/cons of GlobalQSL and web site for certificates. Believe the latter would not be effective for us.

(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report

(e) FAR Report – no report. We still need a FAR Representative.

(f) Training Report - - Rol K3RA
Tech Class course has apprx 20 students; proceeding on schedule. VEs needed for testing on June 7.

(g) Special Event Report - -
W2W – information submitted, posted on ARRL web site. No response from CQ Magazine, and no web site posting. Event info posted to QRZ.com Event forum.
After much discussion, decided to use TL-922 amp, not Henry, for the event – not enough comfort level among operators.

4. OLD BUSINESS
• Station Redesign: Suggested that Icom rig be run on 220VAC as part of station upgrade effort. Planning to explore open shelf operating desk options. Possibly include some clean up and better use of gallery space. Discussed “remoting” screens for easier observation by visitors.
• Rotating Exhibits: no action
• Donated Equipment: 2 TR-7 units are available to needy operators. Jim N. to post info on reflector re. disposition of old laptop PCs.
• Roof Access: no training date yet set
• IEEE Microwave Symposium: details in gestation. Volunteers please contact Steve S.

5. NEW BUSINESS
D-Day Special Event: Zack will post an operator sign-up sheet via our reflector. See also item 3(g). Hours: 0800-1700L weekend; 0900-1700L weekday.

6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
Special Events:
• Upcoming Hamfests: MD FM Assn., May 29, HoCo Fairground

Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
• Field Day 2011 Planning - Session 1: Jim Nowotarski
Discussed 4A operation w/2 CW; 3A with station working multi-mode (phone, CW) an alternative.
Do we drop satellite station?
K3NEM originate 11 messages this year? Rol will check @ W3AO/Rich Firestone. To let Jim N. or me know.
GOTA op = Andrew Z.; 20M. Set up antenna perpendicular to main antennae.
Use more Run operation.
Same band antennae need to be end-to-end (40M key for phone + CW concurrently) with good separation (200ft).
Preferred orientation N-S. Use light weight tower as center support.
40/40 + 20/20; or 40/40 + 20/15 likely optimal antenna band choices.
Antenna complement determined; orientation diagram made.
BPFs needed: 20M (3), 40M (2), 80M (1) filters needed.
VHF station for 6M, 2M (doubles for traffic). Fred will bring VHF loop(s).
Tim T. will be operating with his Canadian ham friends as VE1TRT this year.

Next regular meeting: June 9 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER

*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***

AttachmentSize
ARCNEM_20110512Minutes.pdf98.41 KB