Minutes from "Monthly Meeting - 11 August 2011, 6PM ET, at National Electronics Museum" on 08/11/2011 - 18:00

Minutes for:

Monthly Meeting - 11 August 2011, 6PM ET, at National Electronics Museum from 08/11/2011 - 18:00 to 08/11/2011 - 18:00

ARCNEM
K3NEM - - W3HEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES
of the
11 August 2011
Monthly Meeting

1. ATTENDEES

Jim Dressler KB3GSA Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Chip Weems W4PBG Fred Heath AI3Z
Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Stephan Romanchuk KB3WCH
Mike Birdseye K4DUM Ted Bauer WA3AER
Jim Smith AB3CA Tom Dalton KB3NHQ
John Paul Howell AA3WI Tom Christovich K3YH
Ulis Fleming K3LU Nick Yokanovich K3NY

Meeting chaired by John Paul Howell, President.

2. MINUTES – minutes from July’s meeting accepted, approved

3. REPORTS
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
July ending balance: $1779.94
Current balance: $1706.10 (NOTE: $310 from hamfest deposited)
Tube fund: $20.00
Reimbursement for rotor parts pending

(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise
Family net reports recent line noise @ S5-6.
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
Recent power line noise impacted communications. Generally weak signals reported.
Logged Tim T. as VE1TRT/mm in Nova Scotia.
iii. ARCNEM EM-C 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Participation continues at normal levels.
Need volunteers for Net Control Station to establish (flexible) operator rotation.
ACTION: John Paul to request Zack put something on web site for sign up. (NOTE: In the interim, the NCS schedule of those who have volunteered is under Events.)
Q&A format is working well.
ACTION: Members are requested to submit questions, topics for net discussion.
iv. Equipment Issues
• Antenna - rotator housing had separated: 4 bolts holding housing together came out. Blue Loctite applied to housing bolts this time. No damage noted to rotator internals. Coax cables tested; undamaged. Re-built rotator now in place.
ACTION: Ted will provide updated rotator connection diagram for tower end.
• New antenna patch panel installed at station. Now able to connect any HF antenna to either operating position.
• Noted “grumble” modulation on Yaesu audio (not new) when rotating antenna.
• Henry amp - had problem with no output from Henry the day rotator repair was done. No reports of recurrence. Cause not pinpointed.

(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY –
DXCC count is holding at 261 confirmed.
A few more W2W D-Day QSLs received.

(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report

(e) FAR Report – no report. We lack a FAR Representative.

(f) Training Report
General Class course starts in early September. QUESTION: Is it feasible to demo satellite operation during the course?

(g) Special Event Report - -
W2W Pearl Harbor special event - Jim N has reserved call. ACTION: Jim N. will forward info to Ted soon for timely ARRL, CQ publication.

4. OLD BUSINESS
• Station Redesign: Tom C. working with NEM on design that is wheelchair accessible and offers better visitor view access. Working up grant application for ARRL submission in next couple of weeks. Preliminary indication is ARRL is receptive to idea. In kind volunteer hours to handle assembly, wiring factors into grant award.
Tom and Andrew to meet this Sat. to establish layout detail, needs.
• PC Upgrade: still in the works
• Rotating Exhibits: no change to current display. No new ideas surfaced yet.
• Roof Access: Yes, we need access to re-fit antennas left awry since roof re-work. Recent email thread suggests a need to install radio emissions light...Why, because the levels have been measured lower than BB emissions? ACTION: Follow up on light and schedule safety orientation.
• Twitter: Tom C met w/Alice. On Mo., We., and Fr., Tweets are sent to NEM followers. NEM wants us to send 1 Tweet-a-week on general interest items, special events, QSl reports and station news (e.g., new country contacts), etc. Tom C. will be POC/coordinator. ACTION: We. is our Tweet day, starting next week.
• Visiting Operators: Chip working ancillary issues: access hours, member "guide" to meet visitors & show the ropes. (Also discussed guides for We. Nets; Tu. nite classes; and Special Events)
• Equipment/Storage Cleanup: Tom C. and Jim N. are working on We. evenings to inventory and clean out trash/junk. Identifying potential sale items as storage space is re-organized.

5. NEW BUSINESS
• September Meeting Secretary: Ted B. will be away and requests coverage. Tom C. tentatively volunteered – pending schedule. ACTION: let Ted know if position is covered for 8 Sep. and forward notes from meeting.
• SDRCube Presentation: Nov. presentation OK with both club and presenter. NOTE: we need to use a PC separate from the one in the meeting room. Coax cable run is needed to connect to antenna(s) for demo. Sufficient length believed to be on hand. ACTION: verify availability of non-network PC and coax cable.

6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
Special Events:
• Upcoming Hamfests:
Westminster Tailgate event 21 Aug. at Carroll County
VA Beach Hamfest 17 Sep.
CARA Hamfest 2 Oct. at HoCo fairground
Mason-Dixon Hamfest 23 Oct. at Carroll County
• K3NEM recognized by NYC Schools for contribution towards success of February School Club roundup. Next school club round up in Oct.

Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
• ALE: Planned presentation by Bruce McPherson cancelled due to presenter’s business travel.

Next regular meeting: 8 Sep. 2011 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER

*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***

AttachmentSize
ARCNEM_20110811_Minutes.pdf98.88 KB
Tags: