Minutes from "Monthly Meeting - 8 December 2011, 6PM ET, at National Electronics Museum" on 12/08/2011 - 18:00

Minutes for:

Monthly Meeting - 8 December 2011, 6PM ET, at National Electronics Museum from 12/08/2011 - 18:00 to 12/08/2011 - 18:00

ARCNEM
K3NEM - - W3HEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES
of the
8 December 2011
Monthly Meeting

1. ATTENDEES

Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Ted Bauer WA3AER
Zory Glaser KB3VQC Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
John Paul Howell AA3WI Alvin Glusik K0IQE
Jim Smith AB3CI Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Fred Heath AI3Z Bill Thompson WT3B
Bob Gardenghi K3FQP Rol Anders K3RA
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Ulis Fleming K3LU
Meeting chaired by John Paul Howell, Pres.
2. MINUTES – minutes from November’s meeting accepted, approved
3. REPORTS
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
16 Nov. bank balance $2478.57
Nov. closing balance $2571.27
Tube fund $ 455.00

Report accepted, approved
64 members at 2011 close
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - Rol K3RA
Level has generally been down. Noted to be somewhat higher with vertical
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
NEM closed early Wed. before Thanksgiving: Net run by W6NSD. Jim Sm., AB3CA, served as NCS the following week.
Dec. 7 net kept short; followed by W2W "pile up" of stations to work our Special Event commemorating Pearl Harbor Day.
2M EM-C Net, Wed., 7:30PM ET – Ted WA3AER
Recent issues with 760 machine forced postponing 7 Dec. net and toppic to following week.
Ted B. to make arrangement with CARA for backup repeater use.
Need NCS volunteers for 1Q12. Ted will follow up.
iii. Equipment Issues
• Antenna – 2nd work party held 1Dec. 80/40M dipoles’ halyard replaced and antennas re-strung to building roof. Concern expressed that SWR measurements did not look good; they were checked after the meeting. User error interpreting analyzer: the SWR for both bands is OK.
• Station Power – Revisited discussion about powering linears from 220VAC service instead of 120VAC. Jim N. has action to follow up.
• 2M Station Rig – Mike B. donated TM-281A to replace current non-working rig.
• Icom 761 – audio problem persists, as indicated by W2W reports. Icom mic not working; Heil headset does work. Discussed issue of IC-2KL linear output drop-off during W2W operation: traced to overdriving the amp. Fred H. fixed the problem by 50% reduction of drive level (Lesson Learned).
• Yaesu 920 - built-in antenna tuner not working properly. NOTE that the antenna tuner CANNOT be left ON when driving Henry 3K on 20M. However, the tuner does need to be ON when driving the Henry on 15M (and likely 12M also).
• DX4WIN – Nick Y. noted an issue merging files from 40M station computer. Ver. 8.0.4 starts up; but it should be 8.0.5. 40M station log cannot be merged with main log as a result. Rol also notes that the IC-761 transmit frequency is not being recorded in Notes field. Rol and Steve St. will investigate the issue.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY –
286 confirmed to date. Received Conway Reef and Djibouti QSLs.
Sent cards to Crete, Monk Apollo, Angola, Ceuta, Faroe Is., Cocos Keeling, and Rotuma.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) FAR Report – no report. We have no FAR Representative.
(f) Training Report - - Rol K3RA
Operating class is under way and runs through the end of January. 16 participants.
Extra Class course begins in February and has a new question pool.
(g) Special Event Report - - Pearl Harbor Day commemoration recorded 1593 QSOs to date. Nick also notes a record number of different operators. Certificates to be given to station operators for running the event.

4. OLD BUSINESS
• Inventory: Jim N. reports inventory almost complete, but re-organization is needed. A list of items to keep/loan vs. sell is forthcoming.
• Rotating Exhibits: Looking at assembling a Viet Nam era MARS station exhibit for Summer 2012.
• Digital Picture Frame: Discussed feasibility of using PC as alternative to picture frame. Mike B. has PC to try the idea; and he will coordinate with Tom D. No report from Tom D. on picture frame candidates.
• Contesting: Ted B. presented summation of inputs received by Tim T. Dan Z. is to make Contesting presentation to the Operating class in January. Suggestion made that club members be extended an invitation in case they are not attending the class.
Discussed trying the VHF contest in January as a start. FL, PA, CA QSO Parties are other candidates; NA QSO Party also a possibility.
Initial plans for K3NEM contest operation: VHF Contest Jan 21-23 (2PM Sat - 11PM Sun.) and Mar. 3-4 ARRL DX Phone. May want to investigate N3FJP log software; Jim N. has action.
• Club Dues: Ted is working on a mailing for 2012 dues not yet paid at past 2 meetings. It will be sent out between Christmas and New Years.

5. NEW BUSINESS
• ARISS: NEM team has met with committee to prepare a proposal. Idea: a camp in August for kids featuring ISS contact. Rol plans to work with CARA folks involved in satellite operation.
NRL is proposing a collaborative effort with NEM. VJ Kowtha from NRL discussed the idea of teaching orbital mechanics basics to kids and exposing them to NRL’s mission. NRL can provide software tools for enhancement and to give to participants.
• ARCNEM Flyer/Handout: group reviewed and discussed Tim T.’s write-up. Ongoing discussion and feedback with Tim via reflector encouraged. Initial suggestions included:
Remove last sentence of next-to-last paragraph. Where to display handout and signage. Reference web site for training info. Reduce the history and add more about the station: limit to first sentence. Include Teaching, Testing, Station/Beam highlight as strengths. Include bold invitation to meetings, etc.
• Scout Group visit: Operators needed for 31 Mar. event. Jim N. will advertise on reflector.
• Yaesu Linear Loan: Group moved and approved motion to loan 922 amp to Rol while he repairs his unit; est. 2 week period.
• Presentation topics: Ted presented list of topics from 2M net participants as candidates for presentations: solar power, EmComm, antenna rigging, spark gap operation, breadboarding, FCC monitoring station visit, AMRAD projects, station grounding, curved space and string theory intro..
• Loop Antenna: Idea of erecting a horizontal loop on the building presented for consideration by Ted B. Future discussion planned.
• Officer Elections: Slate presented in November meeting elected into 2012 office by motion.

6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
Techno Swap Meet to be held at NEM in February 2012.
Special Events:
• Upcoming Hamfests:
MD Mobileers – Odenton, MD, Jan. 23, 2012
Frostfest – Richmond, VA, Feb. 4, 2012
BARC Hamboree – Timonium, MD, Mar. 31, 2012

7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.

Next regular meeting: 12 January 2012 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER

*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***

AttachmentSize
ARCNEM_20111208_Minutes.pdf100.4 KB
Tags: