Minutes from "Monthly Meeting - 12 January 2012, 6PM ET, at National Electronics Museum" on 01/12/2012 - 18:00

Minutes for:

Monthly Meeting - 13 December 2012, 6PM ET, at National Electronics Museum from 12/13/2012 - 18:00 to 12/13/2012 - 18:00

ARCNEM
K3NEM - - W3HEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES
of the
12 January 2012
Monthly Meeting

1. ATTENDEES

John Paul Howell AA3WI Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC
Ted Bauer WA3AER Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Jim Smithson KB3UZN Tim Titus W1TRT
Tom Dalton KB3NHQ Chip Weems W4PBG
Fred Heath AI3Z Ulis Fleming K3LU
Jim Smith AB3CA Tom Christovich K3YH
Alvin Glusick K0IQE Bob Gardenghi K3FQP
Chuck Angel AA3FB Gary Hendrickson W3DTN
Jim Dressler KB3GSA Nick Yokanovich K3NY
Dan Zeitlin K2YWE Rol Anders K3RA
Jim Nowatarski N3GOO

Meeting chaired by John Paul Howell.
2. MINUTES – minutes from December’s meeting accepted, approved

3. REPORTS
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
December starting balance: $2571.00
December ending balance $2630.27
12/17/11 Bank balance $2504.01 (includes $455 tube fund)

Several new renewals have been received and are being processed
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - Rol K3RA
Overall, the power line noise continues to be at relatively low levels.
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
The net is going along quite well. Alvin G. has been NCS lately, with Bob G. logging. Yesterday, line noise not an issue, but propagation only fair.
2M EM-C Net, Wed., 7:30PM ET – Ted WA3AER
There is a full NCS roster thru April. The net continues to run well with good topics and non-member check-ins almost every week. We have back up repeater arrangement with CARA; usage protocol posted to k3nem.org.
iii. Equipment Issues
• Power - Connectors required for 220VAC operation ID'd. Waiting until after contest this month to proceed. Jim N. wants separate outlet for Henry and another outlet for the other circuits. He has covered with Mike; Mike is OK with these coming changes.
• IC761 - Audio issue have been resolved with new connection of new Heil mic. Tnx to Mike B. for the new mic at both station positions.
• 2M FM rig - Tnx to Mike B. for new TM-281; it works very well.
• Yaesu 920 ant. tuner – Recommend placing signage to reflect when to use when driving Henry (and when not to).
• DX4WIN log file merge - IC761w/ 8.05 upgrade would not do rig CAT. Steve S. fixed, so now working EXCEPT for WARC bands. Logs merge working again.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY –
150-175 Pearl Harbor Day certificate requests received. Expecting cost to break even.
Nick Y. gave out certs to K3NEM PH Day operators.
273 DXCC confirmed. Egypt, Crete, (almost) Mt. Athos, Angola cards received.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY –
Received code buddy request from AB3MB (Parkville, MD), who only has 2M HT.
(e) FAR Report – no report. We still need a FAR Representative.
(f) Training Report - - Rol K3RA
Operating class progressing well. Dan Z. made Contesting presentation; Nick Y. set to do QSL presentation next.
Extra Class course starts 7 Feb. and runs apprx. 12 wks.
Tech Class Course likely in May

4. OLD BUSINESS
• Inventory: Tom C. and Jim N. need 1 night to catalog station eqt. Tom C./Jim N. to have report next month
• Rotating Exhibits: no news
• Digital Picture Frame: Tom D. is still working to gather info. Asked if PC idea has gained any momentum; nothing reported. Will continue research of frames.
Mike B. has PC, 19in. widescreen to donate if we opt to go in that direction. Tom D. to pass image file to Mike to try out PC solution. Dan Z. will verify all images are same size.
• Renewals: to date, 91 members have renewed for 2012.
• ARCNEM Flyer: Tim T. circulated the updated document; will send out to reflector for further comment. Return to him by midnite Monday.
A copy will be given to each Saturday volunteer to keep the brochure "bucket" full. Recommended copying what we have now to fill the "bucket."
• ARISS: NEM proposal will be submitted this month. If a win, not expected to require a lot of club participation. Tom C. suggested that we do a video tape.
• SK: Gary Ryan became SK; services this Friday. Bill Thompson also became SK in December.
• 100th Anniv. - Titanic Sinking: Tom C. noted that K3MGY is available as club call sign. Need by-laws. Anniversary this April 15 (Sunday). Show of supporting hands for forming club, not under K3NEM umbrella, = 5.
Rol moved that Titanic Wireless Assn. (if formed) be allowed to use ARCNEM facilities for the 100th Anniversary commemorative event. Seconded by Mike B. and approved. Tom C. and Mike B. will follow up with club formation, call sign application.
• .K3NEM Contest Operation: Rol listed pros/cons for VHF vs. NAQP. Club agreed to do NAQP instead of VHF. Polled attendees for availability. Ted will circulate sign-up sheet via reflector. Hoping to have sufficient participation to operate MM-2.

5. NEW BUSINESS
• Contest: see Old Business for resolution regarding K3NEM initial contest participation.

6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
Special Events:
• Upcoming Hamfests:
Jan. 29, 8AM MD Mobileers hamfest at Odenton Fire Hall.
Mar. 31, Greater Baltimore Hamfest and Convention at Timonium. NOTE: 1 day only this year.

7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
• CTWin Demo: Dan Z. demo’d contest logging program for use in upcoming NAQP.

Next regular meeting: 9 February 2012 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER

*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***

AttachmentSize
ARCNEM_20120112Minutes.pdf98.14 KB
Tags: