Minutes from "Monthly Meeting - 9 February 2012, 6PM ET, at National Electronics Museum" on 02/09/2012 - 18:00

Minutes for:

Monthly Meeting - 9 February 2012, 6PM ET, at National Electronics Museum from 02/09/2012 - 18:00 to 02/09/2012 - 18:00

K3NEM - - W3HEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
of the
9 February 2012
Monthly Meeting


John Paul Howell AA3WI Jim Dressler KB3GSA
Chip Weems W4PBG Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Jim Smithson KB3UZN Ted Bauer WA3AER
Tom Dalton KB3NHQ Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC
Tim Titus W1TRT Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Fred Heath AI3Z Gary Johney N3BYW
Phil Bernacke KB3WDI Jeffery Strand N3BZH
John Havrilla KB3PIE Tom Christovich K3YH
Rol Anders K3RA Jim Smith AB3CA
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Chuck Angel AA3FB
George White KB3WPF
Meeting chaired by John Paul Howell, President.

2. MINUTES – minutes from January 2012 meeting accepted, approved. Typos will be fixed.

(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
January ending balance $2817.49
13 January bank balance $2710.54
Tube fund $ 481.00 (included in bank balance)
Dues from 22 members just received; current membership now 102.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - Rol K3RA
Consistently have fairly low noise level. Problem seems mostly controlled now.
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
Net continues to run well. CA solid this week; SLC unable to sign into net this week. Bob solicits other members to assist him. Bob and Alvin have been sharing duties of late.
iii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Net continues to do well with good topics and participation. Some non-member participants. This week’s topic: antenna tuners.
iv. Equipment Issues
• Station Power (220VAC) – Jim N. will follow up on work order with Mike S. this week now that NAQP is done.
• Yaesu Tuner – Signage on when to use/not use tuner pending Rol’s further evaluation.
• Rotator – Replaced failed rotator and put on bench for repair. (see New Business)
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY –
276 DXCC entities confirmed; Nick will send package for 275 entity sticker shortly.
New QSLs: Benin, Macquarie Isl.
Received a few NAQP QSL requests.
Will be submitting $74.39 expense for DX QSLs and postage.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no activity
(e) FAR Report – no activity to report. We still need a FAR Representative.
(f) Training Report - - Rol K3RA
Operating class completed in January. Concluded with satellite comms. presentation/demo, courtesy of CARA.
14 students signed up for Extra Class course. Tech Class course will follow (7 weeks long).
VE exam support will be needed in early May and in June.
(g) Pearl Harbor Special Event Report - - W2W had 1900 contacts; 30% response rate. Income: $115.00; Expenses: $157.77 for envelopes and ink cartridges. Net Expense: $42.77

• Inventory: Tom C. distributed draft inventory report. Excludes active station eqt.; that info is captured, however. What should items’ disposition of be? Members were asked to review and make suggestions. Any missing Origin info that can be provided, please advise Tom. Tom will send .xls file to Chip. Suggested that date footer be added for tracking purposes.
• Rotating Exhibits: nothing
• Digital Frame: on hold pending evaluation of PC approach by Mike B. Tom D. handed Mike a CD of images.
• Club Flyer: Tim T. presented final version. Copies will be made and put into display holder for visitors.
• ARISS: Proposal submitted in January. No response expected for another month. CARA satellite crew will support; Pioneer Hall will be venue. Tech Class course to be part of event.
• Titanic Wireless Association: Club formed and license granted. K3MGY vanity call request submitted; grant pending with response expected next week. Special Event operations from NEM on 14-15 April. Tom C. is chairing the planning activity.
• DX4WIN: Steve S. still in contact with developer to resolve WARC band issue. Presently must enter mode/band info manually.
• Contest Operation: NAQP yielded 918 contacts for apprx. 163K points in M/M-2 class. Log submitted. CTWin used for logging; needed to set dip-switches in IC-761 to get it working. Upcoming contests: ARRL Int'l. DX SSB (3/3-3/4) and CQ WPX SSB (3/24-3/25). Suggested we have more PVRC members so we can contribute to PVRC club score; ½ of an event’s operators must be PVRC to count for club score.
Mike B., Jim N., Tom C. and Ted B. expressed interest in both ARRL DX and CQ WPX contest operations. Ted will coordinate.
• Cal Lab Tour: If you have not already responded, send email to Jim N.’s ngc.com address; indicate if you are a NGC employee and can help escort. Likely that tour will be before business meeting. Jim will have dates at March meeting.
• Club Info Update: ARRL info needs to be updated; John Paul has the action. Also needed is completion of the K3NEM web site membership list update; Ted is working this item.
• Boy Scouts Merit Badge Day: volunteers needed for 3/31 to operate station. FD site use may hang in the balance.
• Techno SwapFest: 2/25 at NEM. Email M. Simons if interested in a table. Jim seeks help with food concession.
• TS-700: Jim N. has and is cleaning up after verifying operation is OK. He will re-install at station shortly.

• Rotator: braking system "failed." Failure mode remains a mystery. Rotator replaced with spare on Sat., 2/4. Need to obtain new lower housing. Moved and approved that Fred H. purchase a replacement lower housing.

Special Events:
• Upcoming Hamfests:
GBHC/BARC Hamfest: 31 March at Timonium Fairground. 1 day only this year. All exhibits and tailgating will be indoors at Cow Palace bldg.

7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
• The Last Big Field Day: viewing the DVD had to be postponed due to projection issues. Plan to do in March.

Next regular meeting: 8 March 2012 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER

*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***

ARCNEM_20120209Minutes.pdf118.13 KB