Minutes from "Monthly Meeting - 8 March 2012, 6PM ET, at National Electronics Museum"

Minutes for:

Monthly Meeting - 8 March 2012, 6PM ET, at National Electronics Museum from 03/12/2012 - 18:00 to 03/12/2012 - 18:00

K3NEM - - W3HEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
of the
8 March 2012
Monthly Meeting


Ted Bauer WA3AER Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
John Paul Howell AA3WI Zory Glaser KB3VQC
Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Chip Weems W4PBG
Ulis Fleming K3LU Bob Gardehghi K3FQP
Jim Smith AB3CA Phil Bernache KB3WDI
John Barker KB3UTA Chuck Angel AA3FB
Tom Christovich K3YH Jim Dressler KB3GSA
Gary Johney N3BYN Tim Titus W1TRT
Nick Yokanovich K3NY John Lindley NK0J

Meeting chaired by John Paul Howell, President.
2. MINUTES – minutes from February’s meeting accepted, approved

(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z (submitted via email)
Bank balance (2/27/2012) $2939.10
Dues (14 members; total now 104) $ 128.00
Tech Swap Meet sales $ 100.00 (included in 2/27/12 bank balance; for tube fund)
Postage (expense) ($74.39)
Rotor repair parts (expense) ($54.48) payment pending
Report accepted, approved.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - Rol K3RA
Family Net reports low noise.
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
More than usual number of check-ins, including Italian station. Line noise low, but atmospheric noise up.
iii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Net continues to do well with a wide range of topics. This week’s net had fewest participants in a long time.
iv. Equipment Issues
• Power: Jim N. has discussed with Mike S., who is OK with 220VAC line for the station. Work order to be prepared and submitted.
• Yaesu Tuner: no instructional signage has appeared yet.
• Rotator: working fine since replacement; no drift.
• Headphone Amp: now connected to both rigs, extension cords in place; permits sharing headphones on both transceivers with independent volume controls.

(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY –
Received. Appreciation notes from Stillwater Elem. (Carnation, WA) school round up participants.
Now at 283 DXCC entities confirmed. Received. replacement Mt Athos card. New cards received.: Swains Is., King George Is., Cocos Keeling Is., Rep. of Congo, Jan Mayen Is., S. Shetland Is., Solomon Is.
Determined that 40 non-answered QSLs need to send DIRECT.
ST0R card still not received.

(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report

(e) FAR Report – no report. We still need a FAR Representative.

(f) Training Report - - Tom K3YH
Extra Class underway; test will be held May 1. Tom C. to send out notice to VEs.
Tech Class to follow in May-June (6-7 wks)
(g) Special Event / Contest Report - - (see also New Business)
Ted B. gave report on ARRL DX SSB contest: 796 contacts, 272 countries, 646,272 points. Operated 34 hours as Multi-1 High Power. 8 operators: 4 PVRC and 4 ARCNEM.
CQ WPX SSB coming Mar.24-25; none present expressed interest in participating.
Bob G. reports that Yaesu has inboard voice keyer. We should investigate using for upcoming special events: Titanic Anniversary and D-Day. Bob G. will leave a CD copy of FT-920 manual at the station for Ted.

• Inventory: Tom C. partially inventoried station desk, and has received older inventory info from Chip to help ID source(s). We want to categorize eqt. for disposal, sale, etc. Report will be complete by next mtg.
• Digital Picture Frame: no report (participants not attending)
• Titanic Wireless Assn,: K3MGY call issued. Plan to operate from K3NEM on 14-15 April (100th anniversary of sinking). Tom C. will solicit volunteers to man station. Ted B. offered to put info on ARRL Special Events web page.
• DX4WIN: Steve S. reports no further info received from vendor and no more progress.
• ARRL Club Info Update: John Paul H. will complete in the next 2 weeks.
• Techno SwapMeet: event was heavily attended in the morning. Items from Chip W. and Ted B. netted $100 for tube fund. Thanks guys!
• Cal Lab Tour: tour will begin promptly at 1800L before the April’s business meeting. If NG or contractor, please bring badge to serve as escort.
• TS-700: Jim N. has cleaned up the rig and re-connected it into the station.
• BSA Merit Badge Day: date is Mar. 31. Jim N. and Mike B. need volunteers to support them and operate the station along with the Scout candidates.
Ulis F. suggests having a handout of next steps to get licensed; volunteered to make handout. He will serve as POC for interested youths.
Briefly discussed having a youth-only class; Rol would need to agree to such a step. AARC (Davidsonville) also has kids' program.

• Special Event: discussed commemorating the Battle of Midway, June 4. Falls within W2W window for D-Day. Agreed; will offer separate certificate. Ted B. will forward info to ARRL Special Events.
• Membership List Cleanup: Ted B. is working to update our list and remove those no longer in the club. Noted there are 66 names with delinquent/questionable status. Group moved and approved to send email to delinquent members; if no response, delete from rolls.
Jim N. and Ted B. will attempt to verify USPS addresses. Agreed those 2 years in arrears will be dropped from the rolls if no response.
Jim N. to send Ted a copy of By-laws.
• 3rd QSL Bureau: Ulis reminds all that he will gladly take envelopes to Incoming Bureau
• AMRAD: Chip handed out old newsletters and recommended membership for those technically inclined.

Special Events:
• Upcoming Hamfests:
Timonium GBHC: March 31 only.
York Hamfest: April 14

7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
• The Last Big Field Day: DVD of W3AO’s 50A operation.

Next regular meeting: 12 April 2012 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER

*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***

ARCNEM_20120308Minutes.pdf98.53 KB