K3NEM - - W3HEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
14 June 2012
Bob Gardenghi K3FQP Fred Heath AI3Z
Alvin Glusick K0IQE Nick Yokanovich K3NY
Chip Weems W4PBG Phil Bernacke KB3WDI
Zory Glaser KB3VQC Ted Bauer WA3AER
Gary Cusack KB3YMQ Jim Dressler KB3GSA
Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Jim Smith AB3CA
Jim Nowotarski N3GOO Tom Christovich K3YH
Gary Hendrickson W3DTN Chuck Angel AA3FB
Jim Williams K3JTW Tim Titus W1TRT
John Paul Howell AA3WI
John Paul Howell. President, chaired meeting.
2. MINUTES – minutes from May’s meeting accepted, approved
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
Made $200 donation to NEM in May. Reimbursed Nick Y. for QSLs.
June starting balance $2803.36
June bank balance $2775.53 (includes $732 tube fund)
Report accepted, approved.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - no report
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
Alvin and Bob are running net. Check-ins vary. Condx not good this week.
Alvin found that the Henry amp Load setting can be tweaked from 20M net setting listed to get 200W more output. More testing to be done, recorded on set up sheet.
iii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Ducting 2 weeks ago to Williamsburg made operating the net difficult. Recently had 12 check-ins. Topics continue to vary and reportedly have been fun.
iv. Equipment Issues
• Henry Amp - see Family net note re. Load setting
• Antenna Rotor – produces modulation on FT-920 audio, RX and TX (known issue). Noted that it is not present if RS-232 connection is disconnected from rear of rig. Suspect shield (pin1) and signal ground (pin7) may be tied together. (Not sure who is following up)
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY –
307 DXCC confirmed; closing in on 310 very soon. 22 entities not yet worked. Chasing down KH1 (Baker Is.) from 2002 for 2 yr now.
Libya, Faroe Is. QSLs recently received. HI confirmed on 40M for WAS.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) FAR Report – no report. We still need a FAR Representative.
(f) Training Report - - Technician class of 12 candidates wrapping up. Testing on 6/26.
ARISS class to be held in August. Details expected soon.
(g) Special Event Report - - D-Day (6/1) operation netted apprx. 100 contacts (Tom C). No one operated otherwise.
Titanic QSL cards to arrive from printer soon. Apprx. 2300 contacts.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Inventory: no progress on report completion. Tom C. pre-occupied with family.
• DX4WIN: no additional progress reported.
• Digital Picture Frame: John Paul H. has .pps ready but hasn't figured out start up. Nick will donate a frame as a gap filler.
• Station 220VAC power drop: per Jim N., work approved; work order needs to be placed. Will complete this month, after Field Day.
• Reflector: issues continue despite Ted B. attempt to rectify. John Paul H. will pick up the troubleshooting.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Program Suggestions: from Ted B. - Grounding/lightning protection; Jim Veatch's latest Home Brew Challenge winner; Atlantic Division Convention presentation
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul. (see New Business)
• Field Day 2010 Planning, part 2: Facilitated by Jim N., Field Day Commander
➢ Ted B. will place a link on k3nem.org for K3NEM FD location (ARRL FD Locator)
➢ Tom C. to provide operator sign up sheet for preferred time(s); Ted will post on web site.
• Jim S. shared his experience with insect repellants and brought samples.
Next regular meeting: 12 July 2012 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***