K3NEM - - W3HEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
12 July 2012
Ted Bauer WA3AER Alvin Glusick K0IQE
Jim Dressler KB3GSA Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC
John Paul Howell AA3WI Chip Weems W4PBG
Zory Glaser KB3VQC Tom Dalton KB3NHQ
Gary Hendrickson W3DTN Chuck Angel AA3FB
Jim Smith AB3CA Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Gary Johney N3BYN Nick Yokanovich K3NY
Jim Smith KB3YMI
John Paul Howell, President, chaired meeting.
2. MINUTES – minutes from June 2012 meeting accepted, approved
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
Ted B. read Treasurer’s email report:
June ending assets: $2834.36
Bank balance: $2775.53
Tube fund: $ 750.00
Operating balance: $2025.53
No Field Day expenses expected other than food (est. $216.63).
1 new member – K3JTW
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - Family net is not experiencing line noise issues.
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
Propagation was POOR this week. It was as if there were 2 groups - East and West Coasts, but with a clear path between K3NEM and W6NSD.
iii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
The net continues to have varied, good subjects and varied participation that also includes non-club members.
iv. Equipment Issues
• Henry amp - Alvin G. verified tuning settings for 20, 15, 10M on beam and has recorded for use. Also has made some preliminary measurements using dipoles, but has not posted yet. Reportedly outputting 1300W on 10M. Finding that 1-2 units on tune dial makes a big difference in output power. WARC band operation NOT recommended.
Ted B. will post new info to web site when provided.
• Antenna Rotor Modulation - no changes made...pending examination of grounding set up in control cable.
• Digital Frame - Nick Y. donated a frame to (temporarily?) replace defective one. John Paul has not had time to work on .pps auto-start for the PC-based solution.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY –
HK0 received (Malpelo Is.); now 309 confirmed. Waiting for Yemen card. 22 entities not yet worked
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) FAR Report – no report. We still need a FAR Representative.
(f) Training Report - - Testing done on June 26 in conjunction with MD Mobileers
(g) Special Event Report - - Field Day: Jim N. reports 923 Qs (compared to 1477 last year). 40M seemed the peak band/producer. Ended up as 4A. Report to ARRL pending
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Reflector: John Paul did some troubleshooting at meeting start. Emails verified OK for Chip, Alvin, Jim N., and Steve S. Next step is to unsubscribe each from reflector, then re-subscribe about a day later. Should we consider either a Yahoo or GMail group as an alternative?
• Inventory: no report
• DX4WIN: no change, no further progress
• 220VAC station power drop: Jim N. will pursue submitting the work order.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• ATV: NTSC TV xmtr. (1kW) is available, sans final tube. Further discussion pending interest in maintaining ATV capability for K3NEM.
• Les' Estate (WR3X): Gary H. forwarded check to Les' daughter for equipment sold at hamfests
• Les' Memorial: tentatively Aug 4.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• On Target event: scouts and ham radio signaling across mountain tops, up to 100mi. apart. Freqs. in 440MHz band, Simplex. Nick Y. will post info on reflector
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
• August meeting: John Paul is pursuing a speaker
• VE2ARC FD: Steve S. showed slides from his visit to this site near Montreal (Pine Beach Park on St. Lawrence R.) after attending the IEEE Microwave Symposium.
Next regular meeting: 9 August 2012 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***