K3NEM - - W3HEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
13 September 2012
John Paul Howell AA3WI Ted Bauer WA3AER
Fred Heath AI3Z Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Tom Dalton KB3NHQ Alvin Glusick K0IQE
Jim Smith AB3CA Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Phil Bernacke KB3WDI
Zory Glaser KB3VQC Rol Anders K3RA
Jim Dressler KB3GSA Nick Yokanovich K3NY
Chuck Angel AA3FB Tim Titus W1TRT
Chip Weems W4PBG
Meeting chaired by John Paul Howell, President.
2. MINUTES – corrections noted; minutes from August meeting accepted, approved.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
No change from last month’s report. Current balance = $2846.36.
1 new member.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - Rol K3RA
Not currently a problem. Item will be deleted from Reports until further action required.
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Bob K3FQP / Alvin K0IQE
Continues to run OK. 13 check-ins this week with much better conditions.
iii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Continues to run OK with varied topics and check-ins varying between 4 and 10.
iv. Equipment Issues
• Antenna/Rotator: Antenna and rotator indicated position are offset apprx. 90 degrees. Antenna work party on 9/16 will address.
• Rotator Modulation: grounding still to be checked; magnetic shielding may be needed.
• Henry Amp: new tuning chart posted at station. Alvin will again send files for posting on Web site.
Ted B. mentioned JHUARC Henry amp in storage at BARC is up for disposition; Rol believes club still active and will follow up.
• Digital Picture Frame: Tom D. has the frame from Nick loaded and working. Will be put in service at station.
John Paul working on bootable Linux system to display QSLs and certificates. Mike B. volunteered to donate PC and display
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – Now at 312 confirmed, 23 not worked; VU4 did not have us in log. Awaiting responses from 7 worked entities. Est. $40 expenses pending.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – nothing to report
(e) FAR Report – nothing to report.
(f) Training Report - - Rol K3RA – General Class started this month; 7 students enrolled. Exam will be in early November.
ARISS class made ISS contact on 9/1 with support from CARA satellite gurus.
(g) Special Event Report - - Pearl Harbor Day announcements sent to QST, CQ.
Titanic Event – no report
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Inventory: no report
• 220VAC Station Power: Jim N. has placed work order. No date known.
• DX4WIN: no change/progress to report
• Email Reflector: Jim N., Chip, Alvin “fell off” reflector list again. John Paul will again un-subscribe/re-subscribe them. John Paul will see if a new software version is available. Noted that our present version does not notify subscribers monthly. If you “fall off” the reflector, send John Paul an advisory email. Yahoo!Group an alternative?
• ATV: Jim N., Mike B., and Ted B. met and surveyed present set-up. Concluded nothing re-usable from present set-up other than filter. More current equipment likely to show better to visitors and be easier for members’ use. Mike B., Chip, and Ted B. have volunteered equipment.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• JOTA: Gary M. requests volunteer help for event, 20 October, at Downs Park.
• Contesting at K3NEM: Rol and Ted B. again broached the subject and sought interest. No interest forthcoming.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Upcoming Hamfests:
CARAfest - 10/7 at Howard County Fairgrounds
Mason-Dixon (CCARC) Hamfest – 10/21 at Carroll County Agricultural Center
• Pearl Harbor Day Commemoration: 12/8-12/9 at National Electronics Museum
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
• October: Jim Veatch, ARRL HomeBrew Challenge winner
• November: Bob Bruninga (tentative)
Next regular meeting: 11 October 2012 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***