K3NEM - - W3HEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
11 October 2012
Jim Dressler KB3GSA Fred Heath AI3Z
Jim Nowotarski N3GOO Ted Bauer WA3AER
Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Chip Weems W4PBG
Mike Birdseye K4DUM Zory Glaser KB3VQC
Alvin Glusick K0IQE Gary Hendrickson W3DTN
Ulis Fleming K3LU Jim Smith AB3CA
Rol Anders K3RA
Jim Dressler, V.P., chaired meeting.
2. MINUTES – minutes from September meeting accepted, approved
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
Starting Assets $2846.36
Tube Fund $ 850.00 (Note: $100 added in past month)
Bank Balance (10/10/12) $2883.85
Closing Assets $2954.68
Report accepted, approved.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Bob K3FQP
Normal participation. Propagation numbers not good, but Austrian did check in.
ii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Jim N3GOO / Ted WA3AER
Typical participation, but generally down. Gathered list of station improvement suggestions. See Appendix A of these minutes; 3 new items added. Discussion on some suggestions:
• Station re-design, grant, and dormant activity
• Voice keyer (Yaesu has one, but is limited)
• VESA arms – Mike B. will scrounge around
• Building access agreed to be non-starter
iii. Equipment Issues
• Antenna Party: mast re-positioned; control and antenna position now in sync
• Rotator Audio Modulation: partially investigated by Alvin G.; more to do.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – no report (Nick not present)
Rol: we can send QSLs via ARRL Outgoing since Rol is Trustee and is sorter. Rol is shown as such on K3NEM Web site and QRZ.com
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) FAR Report – no report. We still need a FAR Representative.
(f) Training Report - - Rol K3RA
General Class course has 7 active and a couple auditing. Expect exam in Thanksgiving time frame.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• JHUARC Henry: Rol and Ted B. will follow up off line. Rol will reach out to JHU contacts..
• Inventory: Gary H. ID'd excess items from lab’s space to place on MMARSI site for disposition; funds received to go to NEM general fund. Class parts inadvertently included.
• 220VAC Station Power: Jim N. will check status.
• JOTA: volunteers will set up Fri.at Downs Park; will complete 7AM Saturday. Applied for W3S special event call.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Alliance Rotator Loan: Motion made, approved to lease rotator to TedB. For $1/annum.
• Dues Renewal: early renewal forms distributed; 1 returned complete.
• Officer Nominations: nominations to be held at November meeting.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
Special Events: TedB. will post Pearl Harbor Day special event to club Web page
• Upcoming Hamfests:
Mason-Dixon on 10/21 at Carroll County Agricultural Center
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
• Solar Energy and Electric Car Power: Bob Bruninga presented advantages of grid tie solar energy systems and re-charging approaches for electric vehicles.
Next regular meeting: 8 November 2012 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***
Appendix A: Station Improvement Suggestions
1. VESA articulated arms for PC displays.
2. Update PCs
3. Update ATV
4. Reinvigorate station redesign project
5. Do something to keep foot switches from sliding
6. Clean up desktops
7. Provide means to position keyboard/mouse for either right/left handed use
8. Raise xcvrs 2-3 in. above desk surface for better visibility
9. Is H/C access grant still on the table? Priority? Necessity?
10. Off hours station access
11. Voice Keyer (FT-920 has built-in, limited capacity)
12. CW IF filter for Icom
13. Bandpass filters