K3NEM - - W3HEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
21 February 2013
Fred Heath AI3Z Ted Bauer WA3AER
Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Phil Bernache KB3WDI
Alvin Glusick K0IQE Kevin Lenehan KB3OMM
Michael Kenney KB3WCO Jim Smith AB3CA
Mike Birdseye K4DUM Chip Weems W4PBG
Jim Dressler KB3GSA Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Jennifer Webster
Meeting chaired by John Paul Howell, President.
2. MINUTES – minutes from January 2013 meeting accepted, approved. Typos noted for correction.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
January starting balance $3250.68
January closing balance $3439.68
Tube Fund total $ 908.00 NOTE: $50 added to account in January
20 membership renewals
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
Continue averaging 6-12 check-ins. Alvin reported odd condx. for 2/20/13 net. Chip showed VOACAP chart for 2/20/13.
Net QSLs have been requested; policy is SASE.
ii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Net continues with the usual check-ins, not many newcomers. Variety of topics continues.
iii. Equipment Issues
• Rotator – continues to stick, requiring extended jogging to free. NOTE: the jog option is enabled; use the knob to employ.
• GAP Antenna – Dan, Ted, and Mike repaired the guy that broke loose; noted that replacing the entire guy set is needed, paying special attention to improving the mountings securing guy ends.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – DXCC total stands at 319. Waiting on card from Campbell Isl. Decided not to pursue QSL from recent Iran contact (too expensive with low success probability); group agrees.
D-Day event looks to be a break even.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – Ham in OH volunteered to help; ham in NY requested help. Within 1 hour both reported they had already made contact.
(e) FAR Report – no report. We still need a FAR Representative.
(f) Training Report - - Extra Class continuing with 2 Apr. test date still expected. CW class has 6 participants. Unclear if next class will be Technician or Operating.
(g) Special Event Report - - Ted B. requested inputs to submit info to QST, CQ for Pearl Harbor event in June.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Station Redesign: no report; TomC.; on travel.
• 220VAC station power: Work Order open. Circuit breaker panels are full. Awaiting estimate for additional panel. If approved, will need help from members to clean up post-installation cosmetics.
• W3GR renewal: in progress: form signed and submitted to ARRL.
• Reflector: Chip, Alvin, and Jim N. continue to be effected. John Paul and Ted will compare respective paths for updating accounts.
• ATV station update: Ted B. drafted plan and is awaiting team feedback.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Field Day Traffic: Jim N. will review info from Ted B. to assess feasibility of handling via NBEMS digital software.
• Techno SwapMeet: event occurs this coming Saturday, 0900-1400ET.
• Program Topic: Steve S. has MTT contact (J.Pollen) who is knowledgeable about SDR and available for a presentation.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
Special Events: D-Day Commemoration during June 1 through 8, with primary focus on June 6-8. W2W call will be requested. Ted B. will submit info for publication.
• Upcoming Hamfests:
• GBHC/BARC – April 6 at Timonium Fairgrounds
• York Hamfest – April 13 at Porters Community Fire Company
• Greater Hagerstown Hamfest – May 4 at Washington County Agricultural Center
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
• Jim Veatch, 10, 6M transceiver design : Jim’s design entry won the 3rd installment of ARRL’s Home Brew Challenge. Jim walked us through the design and cost constraints. He also showed some of his other designs, including the Hardrock-50 50W HF amplifier (group buy pending via hobbypcb.com). Jim is also looking into his next transceiver design, DSP-6160 and the potential to marry SoftRocks with Raspberry pi computing.
Next regular meeting: 14 March 2013 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***