K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
11 April 2013
Fred Heath AI3Z John Paul Howell AA3WI
Ted Bauer WA3AER Bob Gardenghi K3FQP
Jim Dressler KB3GSA Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Zory Glaser KB3VQC Dennis Buckler W3DEN
Alvin Glusick K0IQE Steven Stitzer WA3ZWC
Phil Bernache KB3WDI Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Tom Dalton KB3NHQ Chip Weems W4PBG
Chuck Angel AA3FB Gary Hendrickson W3DTN
Gus White W3GJW Jim Smith AB3CA
Nick Yokanovich K3NY
Meeting chaired by John Paul Howell, President.
2. MINUTES – minutes from March 2013 meeting accepted, approved. Noted that W3HEM will be removed from masthead.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
March closing balance $3577.68
Tube fund total $1092.00; $6.00 added this month
Report accepted, approved.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
12 check-ins on 3/10; typical net. Band conditions poor; had high power line noise level. Latter reported to Rol who will advise BGE.
ii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
4 check-ins; all are the usual participants. Participation has dropped.
iii. Equipment Issues
• Rotator - sticking continues when first trying to rotate. No change in behavior. Work party?
• VHF Antennas – look to be offset from beam by abt. 5 degrees. Work party?
• GAP - need work party to assess guy line situation and hdwr needs to replace 3 guys.
• HCS - Alvin has working; hum occurs when rotating antenna. Needs good station ground.
• Heil headset – Alvin replaced the mono plug with stereo on one headset.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – waiting on Wallace Isl. QSL. $110.00 charges accumulated since last May.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – none
(e) FAR Report – none
(f) Training Report - - 10 tested on Tue.: 1 General, passed; 6 of 9 passed Extra. Gained 5 new VEs. Operating Class starts 4/16, 6:30-9:30PM; Mike to send out syllabus. Next Tech class this Fall
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Station Redesign: no report. Tom C. not present; reportedly trying to obtain grant content from last Summer’s intern.
• 220VAC Station Power: no progress. Jim N. unsuccessful getting electrician's response.
• ATV: updated schedule presented. physical work begins 4/20.
• Radio/Robotics Merit Badge: 7 radio merit badge participants. Good participation and lots of fun; good learning experience from both sides. Nick waiting for names to send to participating station; Mike will email Gary for names and pass to Nick. 21 robotics participants. Also good participation.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Field Day: Rules now permit 24 hr. max. set up time during period 8PM Thu thru 2PM Sat. Expect to operate 3A plus GOTA and VHF again this year.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Upcoming Hamfests:
York –April 13
Hagerstown – May 4
Timonium 2014 – April 5
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
Next regular meeting: 9 May 2013 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***