K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
13 June 2013
Jim Dressler KB3GSA Ted Bauer WA3AER
Fred Heath AI3Z Steven Stitzer WA3ZWC
Alvin Glusick K0IQE Phil Bernache WQ3K
Jim Smith AB3CA William Mooney KA3UQQ
Tom Dalton KB3NHQ Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Melenie Maule K3ECR
Jim Williams K3JTW Chuck Angel AA3FB
Rich Bumgarner W7HGE
Meeting chaired by Jim Dressler, V.P.
2. MINUTES – minutes from May’s meeting accepted without discussion and approved.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
May opening balance $3517.68
May closing balance 3470.68
May closing bank balance 3417.67
Tube fund $1150.00
MCM Donation $ 50.00 (awaiting transmittal letter from John Paul)
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - recent observations passed to Rol who is in contact with BGE. One pole issue addressed, but noise level remains bad.
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
12 check-ins yesterday. Power line noise adversely affecting net operations.
iii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Continuing with average 4-6 check-ins weekly. Thanks expressed to new NCS volunteers: W3DEN, Dennis, and WQ3K, Phil.
iv. Equipment Issues
• Rotator – working OK now (warmer weather) with no sticking.
• VHF Antenna Alignment – still need work party
• GAP Antenna – still need work party to replace guys (has guy material been obtained?)
• ATV Antenna – needs to be repositioned
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – 321 confirmations. Based on W3UR advice, will send for Iranian contact QSL.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) Training Report - - Operating Class entering last week. Melenie plans to publish CD containing class presentations.
(f) Special Event Report - - Rol made 500 D-Day contacts.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Station Redesign: no report
• 220VAC Station Power: no progress. JimN will check on Work Order status. ChuckA reports there is an unused 208VAC line in lab. Jim will follow up with Maintenance to see if this line can be repurposed.
• ATV Upgrade: in progress
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Contest Award: TedB presented 2012 ARRL DX certificate; looking for frame.
• ARRL Video Display: taken down for repair. Discussed replacing the display with a larger video frame and new material. No conclusions reached.
• Tower Grounds: JimW reported one ground wire looks badly frayed, corroded. JimN will follow up and contact Safety if appropriate.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Upcoming Hamfests:
July 21 – BRATS at HoCo Fairground
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
• Field Day 2013 Planning, Round 2: conducted by JimN.
Due to scheduling SNAFU, Mike B will be unavailable to do FD digital message traffic. No one volunteered to use the digital set up, even with Ted’s offer of training.
Next regular meeting: 11 July 2013 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***