K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
12 September 2013
Ted Bauer WA3AER Jim Dressler KB3GSA
Fred Heath AI3Z Ulis Fleming K3LU
Phil Bernache WQ3K John Paul Howell AA3WI
Zory Glaser KB3VQC Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC
Alvin Glusick K0IQE Bob Gardenghi K3FQP
Bon Venanzi ND3D Chuck Angel AA3FB
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Jim Smith AB3CA
Rol Anders K3RA Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Jim Williams K3JTW Melenie Maule K3ECR
Meeting chaired by John Paul Howell, President.
2. MINUTES – minutes from the August meeting accepted, approved with addition of Kudos to Alvin, K0IQE, for persistence diagnosing Cushcraft X7 problem.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z: no change in account totals from July and August.
Alvin, K0IQE, submitting invoice for new X7 traps: $136.68.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - Noise appears to be in line running along W. Nursery R., Elkridge Ldg. Rd, and Winterson. Seems to peak near area when line goes underground (past McDonalds). Andover Rd. area is quiet.
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
Net continues to have 6-12 check-ins. Interesting contrast between prop nos. and reality. NG7SL back in operation.
iii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Net continuing with 6-8 check-ins typical.
iv. Equipment Issues
• X7 Antenna: traps ordered. Antenna Party set for 9/28. Will also check X7 hardware and LPA matching lines. Discussed applying no-ox compound to any hardware to ensure good electrical connection and prevent oxidation.
Spark arrester re-installed in roof junction box.
• 2M Ringo: VSWR near 2:1. Matching ring bent out of shape; needs adjustment.
• 2M TM-281: suggested installing it on the mounting bracket to improve cooling.
• ATV Preamp: not sure if it is working or if it has set up with bias-T for DC injection. Fred noted he does have a T if needed.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – new QSLs received, but nothing back from Iran. No new entities. 2 W2W event QSLs received.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) Training Report - - Technician Class course started 9/10/13 with 13 participants; will run 7 weeks. VE assistance needed for testing. General Class course will follow and likely start before Christmas.
(f) Special Event Report - - Ted, WA3AER, noted it is time to notify QST and CQ re. Pearl Harbor special event.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Station Redesign: Melenie, K3ECR, contacted VME; they would help if we request assistance with design. Is there a possibility of external funding from NG, ARRl, etc.? Motion by Melenie to write a letter to VME requesting design help for handicap access (mobility impaired scope only). Motion carried unanimously.
• 220VAC Station Power: Jim, N3GOO, submitted new Work Order indicating availability of 3-phase circuit (unused) in lab.
• ATV: see Equipment Issues, above.
• Video Display: no update
• Damaged Tables Reimbursement: Jim, N3GOO, talked with Gary M. Left open whether we will buy or Gary will. Leaning towards having Gary buy what he wants. No indication club will be barred from using his site next FD.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• FT-920 Replacement: Ted raised subject of replacing FT-920 based upon recent interest. Requested OK from club for Rol/Ted/? pursue next opportunity without having to solicit for 1-2 days. Can we be authorized to spend up to some $ limit and negotiate even a taxable donation? Asked if there is real interest in club. Topic tabled until January, based on club activity in these upcoming events:
Oct. 26-27 CQWW Phone
Nov.16-18 ARRL SS Phone
Dec. 7-8 Pearl Harbor Special Event
Dec. 13-15 ARRL 10M Phone
Ted will advertise these to the club via Reflector and Web site. Interest level shown by participation will determine if we go ahead with upgrading the station transceiver.
• October Program: Bruce C., W3YVV, will give presentation on Grounding Safety. Jim W., K3JTW, and Melenie will provide laptop support.
• Station Operation: Alvin has offered to mentor anyone interested in learning how to operate the station. Ted has offered to show how to use N1MM logging program for contests.
• Wireless Keyboard/Mouse: these have been donated by Mike, K4DUM, and await installation. Jim, K3JTW, will do.
• JOTA: Fred, AI3Z, will contact Gary to determine if he is involved and what help is needed.
• Special Event – Pearl Harbor: hours of operation 0800-1700, Dec. 7-8. Ted will submit info to ARRL, CQ. W2W call reserved
• Zone 3 QSL Bureau: Ulis and Rol can handle cards for club members.
• Roof Photos: Melenie put Alvin's photos on CD. Master copy to Ted; copies to John Paul and Fred H.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Upcoming Hamfests:
o CARAfest – Oct. 6, HoCo Fairground, West Friendship, MD
o Mason-Dixon Hamfest – Oct. 27, Carroll County Ag Center, Westminster, MD
• Atlantic Division Convention: John Paul read the information provided by the Division and asked if there is interest.
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
Next regular meeting: 10 October 2013 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***