K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the
10 October 2013
John Paul Howell AA3WI Ted Bauer WA3AER
Zory Glaser KB3VQC Jim Dressler KB3GSA
Chuck Angel AA3FB Rol Anders K3RA
Larry Leitch K3FIT Rich Baumgarner W7GHE
Bruce Carpenter W3YVV Bob Gardenghi K3FQP
Bill Machia WM3N Jim Smith AB3CA
Alvin Glusick K0IQE Peter Wittenberg K2LRC
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Jim Williams K3JTW
Jim Nowotarski N3GOO Alan Keeley KA3KQM
Bob Venanzi ND3D Tim Titus W1TRT
Ulis Fleming K3LU Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC
Meeting chaired by John Paul Howell, President.
2. MINUTES – Minutes of September meeting accepted, approved w/o discussion.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Treasurer’s email read by John Paul. Accepted, approved.
September closing assets $3522.68; Tube Fund $1190.00; and Bank Balance (6/18/13) $3493.12.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - generally bad (S9+) of late with a couple of exceptions. Limiter knocks it down, BUT limiters do affect effective adjacent signal rejection. Per Rol, BGE noted which pole is apparent problem; WO submitted. No schedule date(s) for work performance.
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
Having good nets with 6-12 check-ins. Only issue is power line noise.
iii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
October NCS call largely unanswered. Otherwise, good discussion topics with 6-8 participants.
iv. Equipment Issues
• X7 Antenna- Work party held using bucket lift. Traps were not the issue; rather, corroded connections from balun to LPA phasing lines. Next work party will clean up wiring on tower. Mike donated $120 to bucket operators; club expresses its appreciation. Sell excess traps on eBay?
• Yaesu Power Supply- FT-920 measurements made by Alvin. Noted 1.3VDC drop on power line. Check fuse holders, Molex connector, and wiring to power supply coming. Also noted that rig power switch sometimes drops out.
• 2M Ringo - plan to re-set ring matching piece next roof trip.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – 1 QSL request received. No response from Iran. Working toward 5BWAS as next goal.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) Training Report - - Rol K3RA
Technician Class finishes in October; exam on 29 October. General Class starts 5 November.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Station Redesign: Melenie sent letter to VME. Response: Too late in year to render assistance.
• 220VAC Power: WO on hold pending govt. shutdown resolution, per Jim N.
• ATV: Reported that Mike will have CATS folks bring gear to check out parts of our set up. Need UHF bias-T and camera to complete set up.
• Gary's Tables: Per Fred’s email, Gary is waiting on a good sale to replace tables.
• Club Contest Operations / FT-920 Replacement: No response received from Ted's email request for CQWW participation. No CQWW contest operation unless otherwise organized. Ted noted that he will not organize SS operation.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• JOTA: Woodsmoke not doing JOTA. Interest in supporting JOTA from museum to make contacts on Oct. 19, 1000-1400 solicited. No responses.
• Merit Badge Madness: Scout badges for robotics, radio at NEM on March 22, 2014: volunteers sought.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Upcoming Hamfests: Mason-Dixon Hamfest on 27 October, Carroll County Ag Center
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
• Grounding Safety: Bruce Carpenter, W3YVV, gave a comprehensive presentation on proper electrical grounding and bonding methods applicable to general home and radio station safety.
Next regular meeting: 14 November 2013 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***