K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the
14 November 2013
John Paul Howell AA3WI Bob Venanzi ND3D
Ted Bauer WA3AER Zory Glaser KB3VQC
Rich Bumgarner W7HGE Charles Hutchinson KB3UDJ
Chuck Angel AA3FB Jim Dressler KB3GSA
Bob Gardenghi K3FQP Tom Dalton KB3NHQ
Mike Birdseye K4DUM Al Seifert KB3YXA
Phil Bernache WQ3K Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Gary Hendrickson W3DTN Dennis Buckler W3DEN
Stephan Romanchuk KB3WCH Jim Williams K3JTW
Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Tim Titus W1TRT
Meeting chaired by John Paul, AA3WI, President.
2. MINUTES – minutes from October’s meeting accepted, approved without discussion.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - John Paul read email report from Treasurer; report accepted, approved.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - see Family Net report
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
9 check-ins this week. Line noise as bad as it has been recently. Experienced problem with foot switch not activating: Noted that radio connector and adapter should be replaced (and wire strain-relieved). Noted an issue with going into Xmt: not reliable in SSB (related to foot switch?). After net, supported YL doing a report for local paper in MN. Bob has the helm for the next couple of weeks while Alvin is away.
iii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Net continues, averaging 6 check-ins weekly. Dennis, W3DEN, volunteered as NCS for 11/20. Tnx, Dennis!
iv. Equipment Issues
• Ringo 2M antenna – repair to matching ring still pending. JimN volunteered to handle.
(c) QSL Report - - no report
(d) FISTS Report - - no report
(e) Training Report - - VE test held. 13 tested for Tech; 3 also took General and passed. 10 currently in General Class course; finishes in early January. Will need VEs again in January.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• CQWW Phone Contest: BobV. reports 11 members participated. Participants enjoyed operating and learning. Contact with Rol in Antigua a great thrill. Bob offered to host anyone interested in SS SSB this Sunday.
• 220VAC Station Power: JimN is awaiting word from electrician about re-purposing lab line. Not sure of the line's origin (whse. vs. museum). Discussed alternative of using different phase feeds for Henry and Icom amps, IF respective current draws are within breaker limits.
• ATV: nothing new since last meeting.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Membership Renewal: Several renewals received during meeting. Email notice will be sent out soon.
• SS Phone Contest: BobV will mentor contest this Sunday starting around 0800 until 1400'ish. Bob will notify via reflector. John Paul will open bldg. Canvassed members to see who are key holders.
• Officer Nominations: FredH will serve again as Treasurer. MikeB nominated for President. JimN nominated for VP. TedB will serve again as Secty, but would like someone else to run next year. Elections will be held at December meeting.
• Pearl Harbor Special Event: 1st wkend Dec. (7-8). John Paul will open Sun. Note: building is open Fri. evening for Volunteer's Dinner and normal hours Sat. BobV will advertise for participants.
• Club Logo Use: Chuck, KB3UDJ, asked permission to use ARCNEM name and logo in Mobileers newsletter. Approved. Tnx for spreading the word, Chuck!
• Estate Eqt. ID: RichB provided Alice help to ID equipment. Museum not interested in equipment, which includes Tektronix test gear and some vintage HF gear. Unclear if widow wants to sell eqt. Follow up planned.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Upcoming Hamfests: Mobileers, 26 Jan. 2014, Odenton Fire Hall
Richmond Frostfest, 1 Feb. 2014, Richmond Raceway Complex
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
Next regular meeting: 12 December 2013 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***