K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the
12 December 2013
Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Ted Bauer WA3AER Fred Heath AI3Z
Mike Birdseye K4DUM Chuck Angel AA3FB
Alvin Glusick K0IQE John Paul Howell AA3WI
Jim Johnson WW7N Gary Hendrickson W3DTN
Alan Kealey KA3KQM Rich Bumgarner W7HGE
Bob Venanzi ND3D Jim Smith AB3CA
Dennis Buckler W3DEN Jim Dressler KB3GSA
Tim Titus W1TRT
Meeting chaired by John Paul, AA3WI, President.
2. MINUTES – minutes of November’s meeting accepted, approved with typo correction.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
Financial picture unchanged except for November dues deposits.
Current balance: $3493.12, including $1200 in Tube Fund.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - Line noise remains high. Information conveyed to BGE.
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
12 net check-ins this week. Except for line noise, conditions good.
iii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Continues as usual with nominally 6 check-ins. Need better response to NCS support requests. Dennis, W3DEN, volunteered to fill open December slot.
iv. Equipment Issues
• FT-920 - PTT connector on rig needs to be replaced. Paddle problem noted, but unclear what the problem was. Discussion about power levels dropping during W2W operation.
• Rotator – sticking problem recurring and much more noticeable with cold weather now.
(c) QSL Report - - no report
(d) FISTS Report - - no report
(e) Training Report - - Mike K4DUM
On hiatus for the holidays. Expect 1 more class on Jan. 7 with VE Test on Jan14. Either Extra or Operating class expected to follow.
(f) Special Event Report - - BobV, ND3D, reports 10 operators participated in Pearl Harbor event. 500 Qs made. High line noise had an adverse impact. Noted equipment issues (drop in output power during Saturday morning and CW paddle); also need to get N1MM CW macros working.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• SS SSB: BobV. Reports a successful operation, with scores posted to ARRL and PVRC. Only missed contacting 4 sections.
• 220VAC Station Power: still no answer from electrician. Next step will be to check current drain on phase feeds to Henry PS. Offers of clamp-on ammeter received for next mtg.
• ATV: no progress
• Renewals: forms available from Secretary. Email notification will be sent shortly.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• D-Day Special Event: TedB. reminded that we need to have this info ready to submit in February.
• MARS Annual Meeting: Meeting on Mar.15 in Pioneer Hall; open to all. GaryH. Requested building access at 0900. TedB. Can accommodate.
• 2014 Officer Elections: The following nominees ran unopposed and were elected:
President Mike Birdseye, K4DUM
Vice President Jim Nowotarski, N3GOO
Treasurer Fred Heath, AI3Z
Secretary Ted Bauer, WA3AER
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Upcoming Hamfests:
MMARC – Odenton Fire Hall, 26 Jan. 2014
BARC Winter Auction – BARC Club House, 19 January 2014
Frostfest - Richmond Raceway Complex, 1 February 2014
Techno SwapMeet – NEM, 1 March 2014
BARC Hamvention – Timonium Fairground, 5 April 2014
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
Next regular meeting: 9 January 2014 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***