K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the
9 January 2014
Charlie Fullerton KB3ZVN Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Ted Bauer WA3AER Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Alvin Glusick K0IQE Zory Glaser KB3VQC
Jim Dressler KB3GSA Chuck Angel AA3FB
Tom Dalton KB3NHQ Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC
Dennis Buckler W3DEN Gary Hendrickson W3DTN
Tim Titus W1TRT Bob Venanzi ND3D
Tracy Wood K7UO Nick Yokanovich K3NY
Peter Moury AK3X Alan Kealey KA3KQM
Jim Williams K3JTW Rol Anders K3RA
Joe Happel AB3HC
Mike Birdseye, K4DUM, chaired meeting.
2. MINUTES – December meeting minutes accepted, approved. Correct K0IQE last name typo.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z (email read by Ted WA3AER)
Bank balance (12/13): $3553.84
Cash on hand : $ 220.00
Total assets: $3773.84 (includes $1259.00 Tube Fund)
Report accepted, approved.
Invoice pending for Gary’s tables (est. $400); Alvin reimbursed for traps.
Dues received this evening: $98.00
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - Rol K3RA
BGE has located noise source; has plan to remediate that will not require major outage. No ETA on repair.
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
K3NEM not on air Christmas and NY; CA ran net those dates. Still averaging 12 check-ins weekly.
iii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Continuing in operation with 6 check-ins typical. JimN. volunteered to be NCS 1/22/14.
iv. Equipment Issues
• FT-920: no new issues; old ones remain.
• Rotator: worked fine during artic freeze
• HF Beam: VSWR issue re-surfaces intermittently.
• 220VAC Power: 18A drain from Henry amp. Plan is to bypass iso. xmfr.; re-strap Henry for 208VAC; and connect Henry to 208VAC source now powering iso. xmfr. Icom power will remain as-is. JimN will close Work Order for electrician. No time frame set.
• CW Macros: N1MM CW macros needed to key FT-920. BobV. and Alvin will follow up.
• ATV: no progress. Need UHF bias-T and working camera.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – approx. 18 additional W2W requests received. W2W operators can receive certificate if they notify Nick. 80, 40M confirmed for Bahamas and Cuba. OQRS submitted for Myanmar and Bangladesh; waiting.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) Training Report - - Rol K3RA – Exam held 1/14/14. Extra Class course to begin 1/21/14. New Tech Class question pool published and goes into effect July 2014.
(f) Operating Event Report - - Bob ND3D – NAQP CW this coming weekend: any interest? KEY person available? Rol possible. NAQP SSB on Jan. 18: Bob will post to reflector.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Membership renewals: Ted B. gave report. Sending additional email reminders prior to USPS.
• Station demo: Alvin hosted demo for group from North American Trade Schools on Dec. 18.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Projects: To increase member participation, Mike B. is asking for ideas such as station improvements and joint activities. Send ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• D-Day Special Event: Ted B. requested info to forward to ARRL and CQ. Dates – June 6, 7, 8; times – 0900-1700L; freqs. – 7044 and 14044 CW and 7244, 14244 SSB. Jim N. will secure W2W call.
• DX – FT5ZM: Operation coming soon in January. Expedition has US QSL manager. Rol will send info via reflector.
• Field Day 2014: Unallocated Space would like to collaborate with K3NEM. They have limited operator experience; have set up and take down skills.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Upcoming Hamfests:
• MAARC: Jan. 19 at NEM
• MMARC: Jan. 26 at Odenton Vol. Fire Hall
• Frostfest: Feb. 1 at Richmond Speedway Complex
• Techno Swapmeet: Mar. 1 at NEM
• BARC Hamfest: Apr. 5 at Timonium Fairground
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting Mike Birdseye.
• Lessons Learned at Unallocated Space FD 2013: C.Fullerton, KB3ZVN, described the UAS FD 2013 set up at National Trade Schools facility at Security Square Mall. He also presented lessons learned by participants at their station,W3UAS.
Next regular meeting: 13 February 2014 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***