K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the
13 March 2014
Alvin Glusick K0IQE Fred Heath AI3Z
Bob Gardenghi K3FQP Zory Glaser KB3VQC
Ted Bauer WA3AER Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Rich Bumgarner W7HGE Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC
Phil Bernache WQ3K Chuck Angel AA3FB
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Jim Williams K3JTW Tim Titus W1TRT
Bob Venanzi ND3D Melenie Maule K3ECR
MikeB, K4DUM, chaired the meeting.
2. MINUTES – Minutes from January meeting accepted, approved. No February Minutes – meeting canceled due to inclement weather and bad roads.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - FredH AI3Z
Current balance, as of 27 Feb. 2014: $2621.47. Includes tube fund ($1259) and paid expenditures for FT1000MP and Gary’s tables. Report accepted, approved.
Note: Fred will be here May and July, but away in June.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Station Equipment / Issues
• Power Line Noise: No change, and no news on remediation schedule. JimN, N3GOO, notices noise is very bad at point where lines go underground (vicinity of Light Rail intersection at Rt.170 and Elkridge Landing Rd.).
• Open Items: Alvin, K0IQE, suggested maintaining a punch list of items needing attention and keeping it at the station.
• Antennas: Plan to address X7 VSWR will be formulated this Spring. The same is true for the Ringo 2M antenna. The GAP vertical has more serious VSWR issues and should be addressed first.
• Henry Amp Power: JimN, N3GOO, and Alvin, K0IQE, will handle re-strapping the AC input for 208VAC operation as time becomes available.
(c) QSL Report - - NickY K3NY – S2 Bangladesh QSL received, bringing current DXCC count to 322. Myanmar and Marquesas QSLs expected. No hope for Iran QSL. Nick also distributed certificates to Pearl Harbor Day operators.
(d) FISTS Report - - NickY K3NY – Paired up 2 fellows as code buddies; each capable of apprx. 20WPM. With W9ZC recently SK, FISTS future business status unknown.
4. BUSINESS ITEMS
• ARRL Club Info: JimN, N3GOO, will update our officer info with ARRL.
• W1AW/3: Does K3NEM have interest in participating? Stated concern is that without noise abatement, K3NEM operation will suffer adversely. RolA, K3RA, is our POC with both BGE (noise) and PVRC (W1AW/3 station assignments); Rol needs to be apprised of our situation/concern.
• Robofest: G. Mauler sent an inquiry asking if club member(s) would be willing to set up and demo a typical EmComm station. After discussion, determined that the club does not function in that capacity; no interest expressed. MikeB, K4DUM, will follow up with a post to the reflector for any interested parties.
• Awards: ZoryG, KB3VQC, brought the certificate K3NEM received for 2012 SS SSB Clean Sweep. MikeB, K4DUM, will obtain frames to display our recent wallpaper.
• ARRL DX SSB: BobV, ND3D, reports that the station’s limited effort produced good results. Log info has been transferred to DX4WIN master log.
• CQ WPX SSB: BobV, ND3D, will send out a reflector call for operators for Saturday, Mar. 29.
• Amateur Radio Video Display: ChuckA, AA3FB, noted that Phil Hock (NEM volunteer) purchased an inexpensive TV to repair the display. Club agreed to reimburse the $25.00 expense and send a Letter of Appreciation.
• Membership: TedB, WA3AER, reports that the 2014 membership renewal drive is done. No USPS mailing; used several mass emails and some directed ones at the end. A few holdouts remain (the usual suspects). A tally will be available at the April meeting.
• Field Day 2014: Discussed the possibility and ramifications of collaborating with Unallocated Space (UAS) for this year’s event. Agreed to move forward with discussions and planning.
• Tube Fund Options: AlvinG, K0IQE, favors continuing the Tube Fund, but asks if funds might be better used to acquire a solid-state amp with auto band-switching. No decision made.
• Bring Your Child to Work Day: TedB, WA3AER, asked for assistance activating K3NEM for this event on Apr. 24. AlvinG, K0IQE, agreed to do early shift.
5. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Announcements: TedB, WA3AER, mentioned 2 possible program opportunities: HSSM-MESH (KB3TCB) and BRATS 5GHz link network.
• Upcoming Hamfests: GBHC/BARC Hamvention, April 5, Timonium Fairgrounds
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting MikeB, K4DUM.
Next regular meeting: 10 April 2014 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***