K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the
8 May 2014
Ted Bauer WA3AER Fred Heath AI3Z
Phil Bernache WQ3K Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC
Chuck Angel AA3FB Alan Kealey KA3KQM
Alvin K0IQE Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Jim Smith AB3CA Tim Titus W1TRT
Melenie Maule K3ECR Jim Williams K3JTW
Tracy Wood K7UO
MikeB, K4DUM, chaired the meeting.
2. MINUTES – minutes from April’s meeting accepted, approved.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
Last month’s finances: Starting balance $2930.47
Dues $ 18.00
Closing balance $2938.24
Includes Tube Fund $1367.00
Report accepted, approved.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP – no report
ii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER – no report
iii. Station Equipment / Issues
• Power Line Noise: low during last week's deluge; returned unabated this week.
• FT1000MP: Dan has installed filters for CW, SSB. Unsure about DSP problem resolution, but believe it may be fixed. Need to check with Dan and determine when rig is slated to be at station.
• X7 Beam: 30-35 deg. offset to pattern and poor VSWR. Balun is suspect. Tests have only been run on 20M to date. Bucket truck not available until late Summer per Alvin's discussion with Alice. Replace Balun? Agreed. Burnish all contact surfaces and apply anti-ox to all phasing line connections. Probably a good idea to perform tower clean-up work in advance. Group will generate a task list via reflector. Goal is to make tower climb in July. Resp.: Alvin.
• ATV: CATS will assist MikeB to complete set up and begin tune up of our installation.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) Training Report - - Operating Class is in progress; 2nd session just held. Technician Class begins the week after Labor Day.
(f) Special Event Report - - D-Day Special Event info sent to QST, CQ months ago for June 6-8 operation. Who is coordinating the event? (no response)
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Field Day: Charlie Fullerton, UAS, is doing most of coordination. Site is Security Sq. Mall where he works. UAS has planning meeting Friday evening May 9, 1900L. K3NEM is expected to provide operating experience to bring new UAS hams along. Need to understand division of responsibilities. MikeB will attend May 9 mtg and report back.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Military Crossband Test: Event is being held May 10, the week prior to Armed Forces Day and Dayton.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS - none
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting MikeB, K4DUM.
• Presentation Ideas Discussion:
1. How to interpret the ARRL Equipment Test Results that appear in QST.
2. How to solder (an interactive program)
3. Programming session for HTs (invite UAS folks?)
Next regular meeting: 12 June 2014 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***