K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the
12 June 2014
Ted Bauer WA3AER Bob Gardenghi K3FQP
Fred Heath AI3Z Chuck Angel AA3FB
Tracy Wood K7UO Rich Bumgarner W7HGE
Mike Birdseye K4DUM Fred Kuss KA3CXQ
Zory Glaser KB3VQC Jim Smith AB3CA
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Jessie Deuell K3LEF
Tim Titus W1TRT Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Chip Weems W4PBG Jim Dressler KB3GSA
John Cundiff KA3WSR Ian Millett N3CVA
Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC
MikeB, K4DUM, chaired the meeting.
2. MINUTES – minutes of May’s meeting accepted, approved after being read aloud.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
Starting balance $2938.24
Ending balance $2957.24
Includes tube fund $1394.00
Motion made, approved to make club's annual donation ($200) to museum. Fred has action item.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
Bob reported worst propagation ever this week. First time ever unable to reach West Coast stations, incl. W6NSD. East Coast contacts OK. Lots of atmospheric noise; nil line noise.
ii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Lacking member interest in supporting NCS position. Few, if any, volunteers to assist.
iii. Station Equipment / Issues
• Power Line Noise: noise is lowest it has been in long time (now typ. S3 max.). BGE did work in early May.
• FT1000MP: DSP module needs to be replaced. DanZ is searching for one.
• X7 Beam: pre-balun replacement work party needed to check, clean up tower wiring. Alvin sent out suggested work list. Date and Work to be done TBD.
• ATV: PC Electronics xcvr now blows fuses (previously working OK). Problem unresolved. More troubleshooting needed. May send to PCE for repair (are parts available??). Confirmed that preamp is working.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – 324 entities confirmed with Mellish Reef. Today reached 325 with Andaman Is. confirmed. Waiting on Amsterdam Is. confirmation. 16 unworked entities remain (mostly uninhabited).
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – nothing
(e) Training Report - - Operating Class about to complete. Technician Class slated to start on Tuesday, the week after Labor Day.
(f) Special Event Report
Awards: K3NEM Multi-Op Single Xmtr, CQ WW DX SSB 2013, 5th USA, 3rd Call Area.
D-Day Event: Operated Friday, SSB; and Saturday, SSB and CW.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Field Day: plans remain to operate with UAS at Security Square. UAS is desirous of our participation and is looking forward to our mentoring their operators. Stations to be set up in truck bays at school (weather protection). Overnight operators particularly needed.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• American Victory Ship: SteveS visited during week of Museum Ships and IEEE Symposium in Tampa.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Announcements: UAS, Sat., Jun14 - 10AM-3PM workshop on MESH networking.
WWVB is adding phase modulation to AM signal. PM should improve by about 10X the range, reliability of reception. Will require new clocks to utilize PM reception.
• Upcoming Hamfests: ARRL Convention, July 17-19, Hartford, CT
BRATS Hamfest, July 20, Howard County Fairground
Berryville Hamfest, August 3, Ruritan Fairground
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting MikeB, K4DUM.
• Subject Presentation: SteveS presented slides from his visit to the American Liberty Ship while in Tampa, FL.
Next regular meeting: 10 July 2014 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***