K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the
10 July 2014
Alvin Glusick K0IQE Ted Bauer WA3AER
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Zory Glaser KB3VQC
Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Fred Kuss KA3CXQ
Rich Bumgarner W7HGE Jim Dressler KB3GSA
Chuck Angel AA3FB Jim Smith AB3CA
Tracy Wood K7UO Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Melenie Maule K3ECR Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
MikeB, K4DUM,chaired the meeting.
2. MINUTES – minutes of June’s meeting accepted, approved, with corrections to attendance list.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z – report read in Fred’s absence:
June opening balance: $2957.24
June closing balance: $3019.24 (include. tube fund $1412.00)
(3) 2014 dues payments received
Action: Determine if 2014 Museum donation has been made. Resp.: Treasurer
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
Signals weak this past week. Line noise down. W6NSD off the air until relocation complete.
ii. Station Equipment / Issues
• Power Line Noise: Current reports at the station are that noise is low. Problem resolved for now.
• X7 Beam: VSWR back to normal this week; beam pattern shifted back also. Alvin still to purchase balun.
• Museum Lighting: New LED lighting in place and no interference noted.
• FT-1000MP: driving Henry on 20M an issue; needs investigation. Previously noted that VSWR on cable to Henry is length dependent. Dan, K2YWE, and Rol, K3RA, continue to work on DSP issue.
• ATV: no progress to report. Alvin offered to investigate TC-70-1 fuse blowing. Bias-T needs to be properly cabled into place.
• Yaesu Mic Adapter: loose wire repaired, so rig no longer goes into XMT unexpectedly.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – nothing new on DXCC progress. San Andres (needed) operation pending, but no news to date.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – nothing to report
(e) Training Report - - Melenie creating Tech Class flyer will be posted to our Web site when made available. Tue., Sep. 9 is first class.
(f) Special Event Report - - Nick presented D-Day certificate, distributed to station operators. Design well received. Melenie will send C.Christopolis info to obtain certificate
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Field Day: operation at UAS seems to have been well received by UAS folks. K3NEM operators generally pleased. Improvements remain to be made for 2015 edition.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Nick Appreciation Certificate: (!) attendees unanimously voted to have Nick make himself a certificate in appreciation for his D-Day (and other) certificate work. This theme was perpetuated for the remainder of the meeting.
• Distribution Lists: Melenie will assemble lists for those interested in special events, contest operations, etc. She will send me a sample list to see if non-Outlook user can utilize.
• Headsets: moved and agreed that 2 additional station headsets (Yamaha CM-500) be purchased. Alvin has the Action Item. Questions were raised about the use of the Behringer and Heil headphone splitters. Ted noted that the Behringer likely needs to be re-cabled, since several have “played” with it since its installation.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Announcements: Ten-Tec is having deep discount sale on existing inventory.
• Upcoming Hamfests: BRATS Hamfest - July 20, HoCo Fairgrounds
Berryville Hamfest - August 3, Ruritan Fairground
7. Technical presentations – Suggest a topic or volunteer by contacting MikeB, K4DUM.
Next regular meeting: 14 August 2014 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***