K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the
14 August 2014
Ted Bauer WA3AER Zory Glaser KB3VQC
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Bob Gardenghi K3FQP
Jim Smith AB3CA Mark Mayfield W5MLM
Mike Birdseye K4DUM Jim Williams K3JTW
Steven Stitzer WA3ZWC Gary Hendrickson W3DTN
Rich Bumgarner W7HGE Melenie Maule K3ECR
Chuck Angel AA3FB Tenney Brown N3ATV
Fred Kuss KA3CXQ Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Tim Titus W1TRT
MikeB, K4DUM, chaired the meeting.
2. MINUTES – minutes from the July meeting accepted, approved with rewording of 3(b) regarding Yaesu-to-Henry RF cabling.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z – no report; FredH not in attendance.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
BobG, K3FQP, noted improved propagation compared to last 2 weeks. No line noise. No antenna problem noted.
ii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER – no report requested
iii. Station Equipment / Issues
• Power Line Noise: see Family Net
• Antenna: see Family Net
• Henry: connecting to station ground had no effect on interconnecting coax cable VSWR.
• Lighting: new LED lighting in Museum has shown no ill effects on noise level.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – N1S QSL requests continue to arrive. Requests for DXCC band certifications and additional total confirmed stickers up to 325 were submitted. We owe $13.00 for our last application.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – 2 or 3 pairings made in the last month, but no feedback from participants.
(e) Training Report - - MelenieM, K3ECR, reports final Tech Course flyer approval still pending. It was suggested she make an executive decision and finalize. Info posted to Web site.
(f) Special Event Report - - Melenie will complete the certificate follow up with Chris Christopolis.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Field Day: UAS expressed interest in again doing FD with us for 2015.
• Nick Certificate Production: group again thanked NickY, K3NY, for his great certificate work.
• Distribution Lists: Melenie will send Tech flyer to local community newspapers. She continues work on Special Event and Contest lists.
• Headsets: no report; AlvinG, K0IQE, not present due to family business.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Smart Meters: general discussion on safety, interference, design, etc. No one reported any adversities from having one installed.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Announcements: none
• Upcoming Hamfests: Aug. 17 - Westminster Tailgate Fest, Carroll County Ag Center
Oct. 4 - Delaware Hamfest, Sussex Technical High School
Oct. 5 - CARA Hamfest, Howard County Fairground
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting MikeB, K4DUM.
ZoryG, KB3VQC, volunteered to do his presentation on Biological Responses Following Exposure to RF Electromagnetic Fields. Nov. 13 date tentatively set.
Next regular meeting: 11 September 2014 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***