K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the
11 September 2014
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Rol Anders K3RA
Jim Dressler KB3GSA Fred Kuss KA3CXQ
Gary Hendrickson W3DTN Tenney Brown N3ATV
Chuck Angel AA3FB Bob Gardenghi K3FQP
Jim Williams K3JTW Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
Tim Titus W1TRT Ted Bauer WA3AER
George White W3GJW Jim Smith AB3CA
Melenie Maule K3ECR
MikeB, K4DUM, chaired the meeting.
2. MINUTES – Secretary's Minutes from the August meeting accepted, approved.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - no report; Treasurer absent.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
Jim Smith ran net yesterday on 14.275 due to activity on 14.270. Only 3 participants - FL and WI - no West Coast heard.
ii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Mike K4DUM
Participation sporadic. 8 check-ins last evening. No new NCS volunteers. If no NCS, no net.
iii. Station Equipment / Issues
• Power Line Noise: currently not an issue.
• X7 Beam Antenna: unclear if the previously reported issues are currently in evidence; no VSWR anomaly noted during Family Net. Rol and Mike will run tests after the meeting.
• 2M Transceiver: Need manual to know how to change power level; currently too low to reliably reach repeater. Antenna problem (Ringo) still exists and is why the level was lowered.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – our DXCC 325 entity application was sent to ARRL and is in queue. Nick is monitoring progress through the process. Received. Amsterdam-St. Paul Is., FT5ZM, QSL (#326). Still no card from Iran for K3NEM. Now looking at our 5-band WAS progress and sending out cards as appropriate. List now at station for operators to focus their contacts.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) Training Report - - Tech Class is off and running: 25 participants, incl. 4 youngsters, for first class this week. Possibly 4 more will join the class next week.
(f) Special Event Report - - see New Business
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Equipment/Headsets: Bob, K3FQP, has the 2 headsets Alvin, K0IQE, ordered. Submitted invoice to Jim, N3GOO, to cut check for Alvin.
• Equipment/Balun: Bob, K3FQP, has the balun Alvin ordered. Submitted invoice to Jim, N3GOO, to cut check for Alvin.
• Distribution Lists/Flyers: Melenie prepared a flyer for visitors; now available at station. GaryH suggested that we also have a flyer for non-hams (ARRL has pamphlets for free). Melenie will pursue (there may also be a downloadable PDF we could print).
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Pearl Harbor Special Event: Ted, WA3AER, advised that info needs to be submitted now for publication; may already be late. Dates are Dec. 6-13 (Sat. - Sat.); otherwise same operating information. W2W call is reserved. Ted will submit to ARRL, CQ.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Announcements: none
• Upcoming Hamfests:
• DELMARVA – Oct. 4, Sussex Technical H.S., Georgetown, DE
• CARA – Oct. 5, Howard County Fairgrounds
• Mason-Dixon – Oct. 25, Carroll County Ag Center
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting MikeB, K4DUM.
Next regular meeting: 9 October 2014 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***