K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the
9 October 2014
Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Fred Kuss KA3CXQ
Zory Glaser KB3VQC Rich Bumgarner W7HGE
Nick Yokanovich K3NY Jim Dressler KB3GSA
Gus White W3GJW Bill Boston N3DCI
Ted Bauer WA3AER Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Jim Nowotarski N3GOO Chuck Angel AA3FB
Jim Williams K3JTW Melenie Maule K3ECR
Jim Smith AB3CA
MikeB, K4DUM, chaired the meeting.
2. MINUTES – Secretary’s minutes from the September meeting accepted, approved.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - no report; Treasurer not present.
JimN, N3GOO, remitted check to Alvin, K0IQE, for club equipment expenses.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
No report; Bob not present. JimS, AB3CA, may handle net next week.
ii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Mike K4DUM
9 check-ins on last evening’s net.
iii. Station Equipment / Issues
• Power Line Noise: no noted issues. There is a new signal around 14.275 that may be of concern. Possibly PC or network equipment related?
• Antenna: work party set for 10/10/14, 0900 to explore recent issue with the rotator and cabling to the beam. Also plan to untangle the 80/40M dipoles. Will see if 2M Ringo can be "repaired" in place (current VSWR 3.5:1).
• 2M Transceiver: MikeB has placed a manual at rig.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – new stickers added to DXCC certificate (325); total is 326. Now tracking 5-band DXCC. Chart is at station showing ‘needs’ for 5-band DXCC.
Presented report of DXCC expenses from Aug. 2013 to present: $161.22. $81.00 income from special events. Motion to remit $80.00 difference to Nick made, approved. JimN will cut check.
Need to renew W2W QSL stock. Motion to obtain 500 cards (est. $50) made, approved.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) Training Report - - Now in week 5. 19 active participants. Exam on 10/28, coincident with Mobileers test night. VEs needed; message forthcoming via reflector
(f) Special Event Report - - see Old Business
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Pearl Harbor Special Event: TedB sent info to ARRL (confirmed) and CQ for publication.
• Distribution Lists/Flyers: item closed. New, laminated band plan now at station.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Station Headsets: Melenie wants to get with TedB to re-set up equipment to provide 2 headsets per station, and label cabling for future.
• November Presentation: confirmed Zory's presentation (Nov. 13).
• December Presentation: JimN has material on comm systems for the Mercury thru Apollo.
• Account Signatures: Credit Union signatures should be updated to include 4 primary officers. JimN has action item.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
1. Chip Weems, W4PBG, became SK today. News will be sent via reflector as available.
2. Alvin's XYL, Rosemary, will be coming home in the next week.
• Upcoming Hamfests:
• Southern Maryland Tailgate Fest: St. Mary's County ARA, October 25, 2014, Hollywood VFD.
• Mason Dixon Hamfest: Carroll County ARC, October 26, 2014, Carroll County Agricultural Center.
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting MikeB, K4DUM.
Fred Kuss gave a short presentation on his recent visit to Lawrence-Livermore Berkeley National Lab. He talked about performing radiation-hardening tests on design circuits using one of its cyclotrons.
Next regular meeting: 13 November 2014 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***