K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the 13 November 2014
Zory Glaser KB3VQC Ted Bauer WA3AER
Jim Nowotarski N3GOO Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Bob Venanzi ND3D Fred Kuss KA3CXQ
Rich Bumgarner W7HGE Jim Dressler KB3GSA
Fred Heath AI3Z Alvin Glusick K0IQE
Steven Stitzer WA3ZWC Kathleen Foster KC3DSR
Gary Hendrickson W3DTN Jim Smith AB3CA
Chuck Angel AA3FB Jim Williams K3JTW
Melenie Maule K3ECR
MikeB, K4DUM, chaired the meeting.
2. MINUTES – minutes from the October meeting accepted, approved.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
Current bank balance: $2568.03 (include. $1412 tube fund). Report accepted, approved.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
JimS, AB3CA, reports 4-5 check-ins recently. Due to DX activity, it has been necessary to move net frequency of late. Poor propagation to West Coast recently; and also a good bit of atmospheric and electrical noise (unknown if source is power line or ??).
ii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Mike, K4DUM
No net has been held the past couple of weeks. Need NCS operators to continue net.
iii. Station Equipment / Issues
• Antenna Work Party: Ringo repaired; now able to run full power from Kenwood TM-281. Untangled dipoles (re-tied ends). Rotator problem is an interfering tree limb. Disposition of tree/limb pending. Dressed some tower cabling. Determined that the tower coax should be replaced. No connector corrosion noted.
• X7 Beam Repairs: Discussed how to refresh connections between phasing lines and elements. MikeB to follow up with Alice/Mike to schedule bucket truck to replace balun and rework connections.
• ATV: preamp power cable located on roof; preamp is believed to be working based on tests with K3UQQ. Have a new camera to try. Motion to loan one of our Sony CRT monitors to CATS approved. MikeB will follow up.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – no report; Nick not present.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report; Nick not present.
(e) Training Report - - Melenie, K3ECR - 12 of 13 Tech Class candidates passed. General Class is underway. 23 signed up; some are graduates from recent Technician Class. Testing in mid-January (Jan. 20?). Discussed donating equipment to needy students.
(f) Special Event Report - - Pearl Harbor event is in early December. MikeB will post to reflector for interest and will coordinate. Dec. 5-7 prime operation for W2W at NEM. Briefly discussed weekday operation and use of call from home QTHs; no decisions made.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• QSL Reimbursements: JimN, N3GOO, closed this item with NickY, K3NY.
• Headset Sharing Amp Set up: Melenie will coordinate. AlvinG, JimS, and TedB can show how to set up.
• Club Account Signatures: Item remains open. JimN will follow up.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• Chip Weems Award: TedB announced officers’ decision and has advised Chip’s family. Commemoration will be a plaque with annual tags added for member who brings the most to the club. Details to be worked out over next few months.
• Kid’s Day: ARCNEM and NEM will host on January 4, 2014. Current volunteers: MikeB and MelenieM. This is your opportunity to bring kids and expose them to Ham Radio operation and the Museum.
• Keys/Keyholders: JimN and TedB outlined the new procedure for NEM open/close persons to have the building opened. No physical keys any more; but if you had one (i.e., you are on the NEM Access List for open/close), you still have ability to have the building opened. Otherwise, open/close procedure has not changed.
Some question whether person is required to "have a badge" for Security to open bldg. Rumor is that you may have to go to guard to get temporary badge (TedB will verify with Mike/Alice). RESOLUTION: NO badge is required. The issue is incomplete communication within the NGC Security staff about the new procedure.
• 2015 Officer Nominations: elections will be held at the December meeting.
President MikeB, K4DUM
Vice President JimM, N3GOO
Treasurer FredH, AI3Z
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Announcements: FredK, KA3CXQ, handed out HRO catalogs.
• Upcoming Hamfests: Maryland Mobileers, January 25, 2015, Odenton Fire Hall.
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting MikeB, K4DUM.
• Bioresponses to RF Energy: ZoryG, KB3VQC, gave an in-depth view of biological responses to electromagnetic field radiation and showed the basis for today’s exposure standards.
Next regular meeting: 11 December 2014 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***