K3NEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES of the 11 December 2014
Fred Kuss KA3CXQ Rich Bumgarner W7HGE
Jim Dressler KB3GSA Alvin Glusick K0IQE
Mike Birdseye K4DUM Phil Bernache WQ3K
Ted Bauer WA3AER Dan Zeitlin K2YWE
Jim Smith AB3CA Kathleen Foster KC3DSR
Jim Nowotarski N3GOO Tim Titus W1TRT
Melenie Maule K3ECR Jim Williams K3JTW
Stephan Romanchuk KB3WCH
MikeB, K4DUM, chaired the meeting.
2. MINUTES – minutes from November’s meeting accepted, approved.
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Jim N3GOO
(Report submitted after the meeting.) $212.00 dues deposited.
Bank balance - $2658.11 on 12/15/14.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Alvin K0IQE / Bob K3FQP
Net is averaging 6-10 check-ins, with W.Coast’ers being regulars. No station issues reported.
ii. 2M Net, Wed. 7:30PM ET - - Mike K4DUM
Low participation; no nets since November and no NCS volunteers. Discussed either dropping the net or changing format. Format suggestions: Recent on air operations; Participation in other net/club activities to foster cross-feeding information from the ham community; “Today in history”. Will try new ideas in January. MikeB will handle NCS roster.
iii. Station Equipment / Issues
• X7 Repairs: no info on bucket lift availability; MikeB will follow up with MikeS and see if there are options for January. DanZ offered use of his rope saw to remove offending tree limb. Should we investigate a Hazer for the tower to ease antenna work?
• ATV: no work performed.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY – TedB read Nick’s email report. Pearl Harbor event netted 665 QSOs. QSL/certificate requests arriving. DX4WIN files updated; and the program now starts the correct log file on both PCs (PLEASE do not alter!).
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) Training Report - - 21 students continuing the General class. Exam scheduled for 13Jan.2015. Extra Class course begins 20Jan. 2015; TedB will update Web site.
(f) Special Event Report - - see QSL Report. Nick is working on a new W2W certificate design, likely to include USS Arizona image. FredK told about his first experience working a pile up on the receiving end during the Pearl Harbor event.
4. OLD BUSINESS
• Chip Weems Memorial: TedB and DanZ have inherited the task (we subsequently drafted KathleenF). Mike B will contact scholarship donors to determine their wishes.
• Club Bank Account: Looking into Sun Trust. Plan to resolve and make transition in January.
• Kid’s Day: TedB reviewed the outline for the ARRL event, jointly hosted by NEM and ARCNEM on 4Jan.2015. AlvinG volunteered to help. TedB will hold an organizational meeting on Thu., 18Dec.2014.
5. NEW BUSINESS
• NAQP: Melenie will determine interest via reflector.
• Video Conference Capability: MikeB proposed the idea. Possible options: Skype, GoToMeeting. Capability would enable remote attendance, remote presentations, and provide NEM use as well. JimW offered to explore CalLab interest in a full-blown system.
• 2015 Officer Elections: President, Vice President, and Treasurer unopposed, and existing officers have agreed to serve. Secretary position remains open for 2015. Moved that President, with advice and consent of his fellow officers, be allowed to appoint a Secretary.
• NEM Collaboration: MikeB proposed the broad idea of joint NEM-ARCNEM activities and using ARCNEM as an advertising vehicle to promote the museum. Immediate ideas: QST article; Ham Class/Day.
6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Upcoming Hamfests: Post Holiday Hamfest - 25Jan.2015, Odenton Fire Hall, MD Mobileers
Frostfest – 7Feb.2015, Richmond Raceway Complex, VA, http:// http://frostfest.com/wp/
Orlando Hamcation – 13-15Feb.2015, Oralndo, FL, http:// http://www.hamcation.com/
7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting MikeB.
• Mercury, Gemini, Apollo Communication Systems: JimN gave an in-depth talk on the systems utilized by these 3 spacecraft programs. Whereas the first 2 programs employed distinct HF, VHF, and tracking systems, Apollo saw the introduction of the Unified S-Band system which proved a much better solution for spacecraft comms, particularly when long-distance comms and orbital relays from the Moon were needed.
Next regular meeting: 8January2015 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER
*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***